What is iCare?
iCare is a Population Management software tool that helps you manage the care of your patients. The ability to create multiple panels of patients with common characteristics (e.g., age, diagnosis, community) allows you to personalize the way you view patient data.
iCare is a Windows-based, client-server graphical user interface (GUI) to the IHS Resource and Patient Management System (RPMS). iCare retrieves important patient information from various components of the RPMS database and brings it together under a single, user-friendly interface.
Who should use iCare?
Any provider who needs to identify a group of patients for long-term management or to create a temporary list should think about using iCare. Do you fit any of the following scenarios?
• I am a nurse at a facility that assigns a primary care provider to each patient. Every day, I want to create a list of scheduled patients for two different doctors in my clinic.
• I want to identify which of my patients are considered obese so I can recommend nutrition counseling.
• Because providers at our clinic have performance goals related to annual GPRA clinical measures, I want to identify which of my patients are missing key clinical data.
• Our Women's Health clinic wants to focus on two clinical performance improvement initiatives this year. We want to identify the performance problem areas for female patients between ages 18 and 50.
• I am one of two part-time case managers for a group of children, and I want to create a patient list that we both can use.
iCare Training and Resources
• IHS RPMS Training Calendar
• Can Population Management Improve the Quality of Healthcare Delivery?
• Demos—These demos are intended for users new to iCare to provide an idea of what this software can do. They were created using iCare v1.0 and so the screens that you see demonstrated will be slightly different than the version you will be seeing at your site.
• Creating and Modifying a Panel in iCare
• Modify the Definition and Layout of a Panel
• Patient Record
• National Measures
iCare version 1 (BQI) was released
nationally May 29, 2007. iCare version 1.1 (BQI) was released June 26,
2008. iCare version 2.0 (BQI) was released June 19, 2009.
is a client-server application, which means that software is loaded
both on your site's server and an individual user's computer (client).
Michelle Ruslavage, BSN, RN, CDE
Health Informaticist and Data Coordinator
Reference: IHS iCare Home Page