March 17, 2021 –
Dear Tribal Leader:
On behalf of the Indian Health Service (IHS), I am initiating Tribal Consultation to seek rapid
input regarding the potential allocation of $6 billion currently under consideration by Congress as part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021.
Please make plans to join us on Wednesday, March 17, 2021, at the virtual Tribal Consultation session described below:
DATE: Wednesday, March 17, 2021
TIME: 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (EST)
CALL-IN INFORMATION: 1-800-857-5577
Participant Code: 4151302
ADOBE CONNECT: To join the meeting: https://ihs.cosocloud.com/r12qamkpnaha/
Room Passcode: ihs123
In the current version of the bill, funds for the IHS support a variety of activities, including:
- $2 billion for lost third-party revenue;
- $500 million for additional health care services, including through the
Purchased/Referred Care program;
- $140 million for information technology, telehealth infrastructure, and the IHS
Electronic Health Record;
- No less than $84 million for Urban Indian Organizations;
- $600 million for necessary expenses to plan, prepare for, promote, distribute, administer, and track COVID-19 vaccines and other related activities;
- $1.5 billion for COVID-19 testing, contact tracing, and other related activities;
- $240 million for public health workforce and other related activities;
- $420 million for mental health and substance abuse prevention and treatment services;
- $600 million for construction, maintenance, equipment, and other related activities
necessary for COVID-19 response; and
- $10 million for the delivery of potable water.
These funds are proposed to be available to support eligible expenses dating back to January 31, 2020, which is the date that the COVID-19 public health emergency was declared. If enacted by Congress, the funds will be provided on a one-time, non-recurring basis, and can only be used for the purposes outlined in the final bill.
I also encourage you to submit written comments on the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org – Subject Line: American Rescue Plan. The deadline for written comments is Friday, March 19, 2021.
I look forward to your feedback and recommendations.
/Elizabeth A. Fowler/