DOI Consultation on 10-Year Federal Plan on Native Language
September 14 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm CDT
The Biden Administration is considering the development of a 10-year National Plan on Native Language Revitalization. The Plan would lay out a long-term, all-of-government strategy that works with Tribal Nations and, as appropriate, non-profit organizations, subject-matter experts, and other entities for the revitalization, protection, preservation, and reclamation of Native Languages.
The core aspects of the Plan may include a focus on creating a national awareness on the importance of Native languages; recognizing the role the U.S. played in erasing Native languages; integrating Native language learning in mainstream educational systems and the promotion of Native language reclamation in Federal policies; and identifying a wide range of funding and resources for Native language revitalization.
Through consultation, the Administration seeks input from Tribal Leaders and Stakeholders as to:
- What existing Federal funding streams and resources are most helpful to your Native language programs, initiatives, or efforts?
- What are the barriers and challenges to Native language revitalization and protections?
- Aside from increased Federal funding, what more could the Federal government do to support Native Language revitalization, reclamation, and protection?
- What elements need to be in a National Plan for Language Revitalization?
- What role should Tribes and other have in the National Plan?
Please submit your written input to email@example.com by 11:59 p.m., October 14, 2022.