NTIA Tribal Consultation on the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program
January 14 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm CST
National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) Tribal Consultation on the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program (TBCP)
The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021, Pub. L. No. 116-260 (Act), created the TBCP, providing new sources of Tribal broadband funding to assist in mitigating the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic exacerbating the digital divide across Indian Country. As you may know, NTIA received applications requesting significantly more in funding than the $980 million available for grants under the Act. Of the additional $2 billion in funding appropriated for the TBCP by the IIJA, a portion may be used to fund TBCP applications submitted in response to the June 3, 2021, TBCP Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO). The Department of Commerce and NTIA are dedicated to expanding broadband deployment in unserved areas and promoting digital inclusion. NTIA is committed to holding consultation expeditiously to ensure that your input informs the use and timing of additional funding from the IIJA.
Friday, January 14 at 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm Eastern
Dial-In Number: (562) 247-8422
Attendee Code: 714-523-950
The current $980 million NTIA TCBP provides funding for the following:
- Broadband infrastructure deployment, including support for the establishment of carrier-neutral submarine cable landing stations;
- Affordable broadband programs, including:
- providing free or reduced-cost broadband service;
- preventing disconnection of existing broadband service;
- Distance learning;
- Digital inclusion efforts; and
- Broadband adoption activities.
The IIJA did not change these eligible uses of funds for the program. Below are the questions on which NTIA seeks your input during this first consultation:
- Should NTIA make available any of the additional TBCP funding appropriated by theIIJA for the applications submitted in response to the June 2021 TBCP NOFO?
- If so, what percentage of the additional funding should NTIA make available for thispurpose?
- If NTIA were to issue a second TBCP NOFO for the remaining funds appropriated bythe IIJA, when would be the most accommodating time for Tribes to be able tosubmit applications?
Written comments can also be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line: “Tribal Broadband Grant Program IIJA,” by January 14, 2022, at 6:00 pm Eastern Standard Time.
If you have any questions regarding the Tribal Broadband Connectivity Program or these consultation sessions, you may contact Adam Geisler, (202) 494-7820, or firstname.lastname@example.org.