Operation Lady Justice Online Training – Symposium: Missing or Murdered American Indians and Alaska Natives
September 16, 2021 @ 12:30 pm - 4:15 pm CDT
One event on September 15, 2021 at 12:30 pm
One event on September 16, 2021 at 12:30 pm
National Indian Country Training Initiative Announcement for Online Training via WebEx
- Day 1 will be held on September 14, 2021, from 1:30 pm – 5:15 pm EDT;
- Day 2 will be held on September 15, 2021, from 1:30 pm – 5:15 pm EDT, and
- Day 3 will be held on September 16, 2021, from 1:30 pm – 5:15 pm EDT.
Registration Deadline: Friday, September 10, 2021
OLE Notification Deadline: Monday, September 13, 2021
On May 5, 2021, Attorney General Merrick Garland stated that “Generations of American Indians and Alaska Natives have experienced violence or mourned a murdered or missing family member or loved one. The lasting effects of such trauma and suffering ripple across their communities.” He also reaffirmed the Department of Justice’s commitment to Tribes across the country who need and deserve federal resources to help bring answers and justice to their grieving communities. This commitment to tribes is echoed by the Departments of the Interior and Health and Human Services. In an effort to find lasting solutions to the public safety challenges Tribal communities encounter and to protect them from violence, abuse, and exploitation, a national symposium on missing or murdered indigenous persons (MMIP) related issues for federal, state, tribal and local stakeholders is being held September 14-16, 2021. This MMIP training is via webinar and will address important topics like data collection, victim advocacy, creating a community strategy for addressing missing persons, and working collaboratively across jurisdictions. The webinar is free.
Tuesday, September 14, 2021: 1:30 – 5:15 p.m. EDT
Overview of the National Indian Country Training Initiative and Operation Lady Justice
Data About MMIP: What We Know and What We Don’t (Part 1)
Data About MMIP: What We Know and What We Don’t (Part 2)
Wednesday, September 15, 2021: 1:30 – 5:15 p.m. EDT
Breakout Session 1A: Developing Tribal Community Response Plans for Missing Person Cases
Breakout Session 1B: Youth Vulnerabilities
Breakout Session 2A: Investigator’s Panel
Breakout Session 2B: Victim and Family Services
Thursday, September 16, 2021: 1:30 – 5:15 p.m. EDT
Breakout Session 3A: State-Based Resources
Breakout Session 3B: Alerts
The Future of MMIP Work
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Please click on the link below to register for Day 1, Day 2, and Day 3 of the WebEx online training. If you click the box to the left of the Date & Time (under Upcoming Events), each date will be checked for you.
- Click the Register button.
- Complete the registration survey in its entirety. (Please confirm that the information is correct prior to submitting the registration.)
- Click the Submit button.