White House Emergency Rental Assistance & Tenant Protection Event
September 8, 2021 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm CDT
The White House invites you to a virtual event on Wednesday, September 8, 2021 from 1:30-2:30pm ET to highlight states, counties and cities that are leading the way on emergency rental assistance and tenant protections.
WHO: White House Senior Advisors, U.S. Department of the Treasury and State and Local Elected Leaders
WHAT: Discussion on best practices for administering Emergency Rental Assistance and keeping families in their homes
WHEN: Wednesday, September 8th at 1:30pm ET
Last month, the Biden-Harris Administration once again announced new measures to help protect vulnerable tenants and landlords, including Treasury Department actions to strengthen existing guidance and new policies to ensure that state and local grantees can further accelerate Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) to aid struggling landlords and the renters most at risk of eviction. In addition, the Secretaries of HUD and Treasury, along with the Attorney General, wrote a letter to governors, mayors, county executives, and chief justices and state court administrators to issue their own moratoria, stay evictions while rental assistance applications process, and use ERA and State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds to enhance tenant access to legal representation.
Building off those actions, White House and agency officials will hold an event on Wednesday, September 8th from 1:30-2:30pm ET featuring Secretary of Treasury Janet Yellen and other top Administration officials and showcasing best practices that governors, mayors, and county leaders are taking to expedite ERA and protect at-risk households.
Featured speakers include:
Accelerating Emergency Rental Assistance: Flexibilities and community collaboration
- Governor Ralph Northam, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Mayor Greg Fischer, City of Louisville
- Mayor Ron Nirenberg, San Antonio
- Judge Lina Hidalgo, Chief Executive of Harris County
Preventing Eviction: Moratoriums and Diversion
- Governor Jay Inslee, State of Washington
- Mayor Kim Janey, City of Boston
Participating Administration Officials:
- Secretary Janet Yellen, U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Gene Sperling, White House American Rescue Plan Coordinator
- Julie Rodriguez, White House Director of Intergovernmental Affairs
- Erika Poethig, White House Special Assistant to the President for Housing and Urban Policy
- Jacob Leibenluft, Chief Recovery Officer, U.S. Department of the Treasury