Budget and Appropriations
We advocate for the fulfillment of the federal trust and treaty obligations, including full funding for federal Indian programs. Because of our history and unique relationship with the U.S., the trust obligation of the federal government to Tribal Nations, as reflected in the federal budget, is fundamentally different from ordinary discretionary spending and should be considered mandatory in nature. Inadequate funding to Indian Country needs to be viewed as unfilled treaty and trust obligations and should not be vulnerable to year to year “discretionary” decisions by appropriators. Federal spending in fulfillment of trust and treaty obligations is not responsible for the federal deficit and must be held harmless as our nation seeks to reduce its debt. USET SPF envisions a future in which federal funding to Tribal Nations is no longer a discretionary choice and all dollars are contractable and compactable.
- USET SPF Testimony - Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies - FY 2022 Outside Witness Testimony - June 25, 2021
- USET SPF Written Testimony House Interior Approps Tribal Witness Hearings FY22 - April 16, 2021
- Testimony of United South and Eastern Tribes Sovereignty Protection Fund For the Record of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs Oversight Hearing, “A call to action: Native communities’ priorities in focus for the 117th Congress” - March 24, 2021
- Testimony of Chief Kirk Francis, President United South and Eastern Tribes Sovereignty Protection Fund Before the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs For the Oversight Hearing, “From Languages to Homelands: Advancing Tribal Self-Governance and Cultural Sovereignty for Future Generations.” - December 9, 2020
- USET SPF Written Testimony House Interior Appropriations Tribal Witness Hearings - February 3, 2020
- USET SPF Comments on Mandatory Funding Approaches for the Indian Health Service - September 1, 2021
- USET SPF Comments OMB FY22 Budget Request Consultation - July 23, 2021
- USET SPF Comments to IHS on Consultation - June 15, 2021
- USET SPF Comments to OMB on Consultation - April 9, 2021
- USET SPF Joins Letter FY2021 Funding for the Native American Business Incubators Program - November 16, 2020
- USET SPF Impact Week Follow-up Letter for Chair Schatz - July 12, 2021
- USET SPF Letter to Sec Haaland re WHCNAA - May 27, 2021
To find archived items, please visit our Data Center.