Culture and Heritage
While the practice of spiritual and ceremonial traditions and beliefs varies significantly among USET SPF Tribal Nations, our spirituality is overwhelmingly place-based. From the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians’ Nanih Waiyah mounds to the ceremonial stone landscapes of New England, each member Tribal Nation has specific places and locations that we consider sacred. These places are often the sites of our origin stories, our places of creation. As such, we believe that we have been in these places since time immemorial. Through these sites, we are inextricably linked to our spirituality, the practice of our religions, and to the foundations of our cultural beliefs and values. Our sacred sites are of greatest importance as they hold the bones and spirit of our ancestors and we must ensure their protection, as that is our sacred duty. As our federal partner in this unique government-to-government relationship, it is also incumbent upon all branches of the U.S. government to ensure the protection of these sites.
- Testimony of United South and Eastern Tribes Sovereignty Protection Fund For the Record of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs Oversight Hearing, “A call to action: Native communities’ priorities in focus for the 117th Congress” - March 24, 2021
- Testimony of Chief Kirk Francis, President United South and Eastern Tribes Sovereignty Protection Fund Before the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs For the Oversight Hearing, “From Languages to Homelands: Advancing Tribal Self-Governance and Cultural Sovereignty for Future Generations.” - December 9, 2020
- USET SPF Comments: Federal Energy Regulatory Commission Creation of the Office of Public Participation - April 23, 2021
- USET SPF Comments to NTIA on Tribal Broadband Connectivity Grant Program - February 11, 2021
- USET SPF Comments on Proposed NEPA Revisions - March 10, 2020
USET SPF Letter of Support: STOP Act HNR 117th Congress – May 19, 2021
- USET SPF Support for STOP Act - June 22, 2020
To find archived items, please visit our Data Center.