White House Eviction Prevention Conference
August 2, 2022 @ 11:30 am - 1:30 pm CDT
The White House invites you to attend a virtual event, on Tuesday, August 2, 2022 from 12:30-2:30pm (ET), on the need to build on the American Rescue Plan’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program to ensure long-term eviction reform, including highlighting model innovations across the country.
Click to register: https://pitc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_R7Zojmj6QEODQ9hPVwdXiw
The American Rescue Plan’s Emergency Rental Assistance program created the country’s first national policy and national infrastructure to prevent evictions and provide assistance to millions of hard-pressed tenants and their landlords. As available funds wind down as states, counties, and cities continue to deliver needed relief, it is critical to build on lessons learned to move toward the type of long-term reform that will lead to a more humane and just eviction policy. The White House Summit will highlight examples of eviction prevention reforms needed to avoid a return to the unacceptable pre-pandemic normal.
The event will include remarks from top officials and top experts, including Pulitzer Prize-winning author of Evicted, Matthew Desmond, State Supreme Court Chief Justices, leaders of model innovations, senior officials in the Biden-Harris Administration, as well as House Committee on Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters (CA-43), and Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee Chair Sherrod Brown (OH).
The Urgent Need for Eviction System Reform
- Gene Sperling, White House American Rescue Plan Coordinator
- Wally Adeyemo, Deputy Secretary, U.S. Department of the Treasury
- Matthew Desmond, Eviction Lab, Princeton University
- Diane Yentel, National Low Income Housing Coalition
Visionary Court-Led Eviction System Reform
- Vanita Gupta, Associate Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice
- Chief Justice Bridget Mary McCormack, Michigan Supreme Court
- Chief Justice C. Shannon Bacon, New Mexico Supreme Court
- Chief Judge Veronica Henry, New Orleans First City Court
Innovations in State and Local Eviction Prevention
- Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot
- Philadelphia Councilmember Helen Gym
- Andrea Bell, Oregon Housing and Community Services
- Hazel Remesch, Cleveland Legal Aid
- Zach Neumann, COVID-19 Eviction Defense Project (Colorado)
Congressional Commitment to Building on ERA’s Nationwide Eviction Prevention Infrastructure
- Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee Chair Sherrod Brown (OH)
- House Committee on Financial Services Chair Maxine Waters (CA-43)
The Path Forward on Eviction Protections and Closing Remarks
- Erika Poethig, Special Assistant to the President for Housing and Urban Policy
Please share with colleagues and members of your community. We thank you in advance for your participation and commitment to eviction prevention.
For questions about the event, please contact email@example.com.