Launched in 2017, the NAFOA Leadership Summit has provided Native American youth and young professionals the opportunity to learn about the current issues and policies impacting tribal economic development.
This year, the 2022 Leadership Summit will be held on Sunday, April 3 in Seattle, WA.
Summit attendees learn directly from tribal leaders and business professionals during a full day of programming that provides panel discussions regarding graduate school, career advancement, along with business and tribal economic development topics. Following the Summit, participants attend the 40th NAFOA Annual Conference. The two-day conference provides networking opportunities and facilitates important dialogues about tribal finance and economic issues impacting tribal economies.
The Leadership Summit funding provides support for the costs associated with participation in the program. Funding is available for travel/transportation, hotel costs, conference registration fees, and the NAFOA Leadership Summit program fees. Additionally, the dress code for the NAFOA Leadership Summit and NAFOA Conference is strictly business formal. To help attendees meet this expectation a $200.00 clothing stipend (provided as a reimbursement) is available for all accepted program participants.
- Self-identifying Native American/indigenous young professionals between 21-26 years old may apply for the Leadership Summit.
- Must be located within the United States.
- Applicants should demonstrate a strong interest in learning more about the importance of tribal economies and the policies that impact tribal finance.
The applicant selection criteria are based on the following:
- Strength of essay responses in the submitted application.
- Academic performance, professional and/or extracurricular experiences.
- Actively participate and complete the NAFOA Career Basics program prior to the Summit or be recommended by an eligible NAFOA partner organization.