Criminal Jurisdiction in Indian Country Seminar
November 7 - November 9
November 7-8 at 9:30 am – 6:00 pm Eastern
November 9 at 1:00 pm – 3:0 pm Eastern – Examination Date
Registration Deadline: October 27, 2023
OLE Notification Deadline: November 3, 2023
The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), Office of Justice Services (OJS) issues Special Law Enforcement Commissions (SLECs) to tribal, federal, state, and local full-time certified law enforcement officers who will serve without compensation from the Federal government. This process allows BIA to obtain active assistance in the enforcement of federal criminal statutes and federal hunting and fishing regulations in Indian country. One of the criteria for receiving a SLEC is attendance at the Criminal Jurisdiction in Indian Country (CJIC) course and passage of an exam at the end of the class with a score of 70% or higher. Successful completion of this class will also satisfy one of the BIA’s criteria for tribal officers seeking to meet BIA Basic Police Officer training certification requirements. The webinar is restricted to law enforcement officers who are deemed eligible by BIA to attend. There is no cost for attending this webinar.
Participation is mandatory for all sessions. The online training is scheduled for November 7 and 8, 2023 from 9:30 am – 6:00 pm EST each day. Important Note: GROUP VIEWING IS NOT PERMITTED. In order to receive credit for participation, attendees must access this webinar training event individually on their computers/personal devices. Attendees will not receive credit for participation if they access this meeting via audio only (dialing the WebEx Webinar phone number to hear but not view the webinar). Attendees need to view the slides for each presentation. Every student who fully attends both days of the training and pass the exam will receive a certificate of attendance via email to the email address provided at registration.
- Complete the registration form in its entirety using your legal first and last name.
- Once your registration is approved, you will receive an email with a link to join the training via Webex.
- On the day of training, connect to Webex with your legal first and last name. Nicknames or alias will not be accepted.
- Provide a primary and alternate email address (i.e., Outlook, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.).
- Confirm that your email addresses are correct before submitting your registration. Email will be the primary form of communicating with all course attendees.
- Please provide your complete mailing address (including city, state and zip code).
- Incomplete or incorrect information may result in your being denied admission into the class.
The examination needed for SLEC certification will be held online on November 9, 2023 from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm EST. Important Note: THE CJIC EXAM WILL NOT BE CONDUCTED VIA WEBEX. Selected students will receive separate instructions for accessing the online exam.
This media and materials are for Department of Justice use and subject to protection from release under the Freedom of Information Act, 5 U.S.C. section 552.
The Executive Office for United States Attorneys (EOUSA) will provide reasonable accommodation to people with disabilities. Requests should be made to the course POC as early as possible, preferably at least three weeks in advance of the training. No nominee will be excluded from a course on the basis of a disability-related accommodations request.